The second ‘room’ is ready and I have moved in and sleep very well in there.
I think we need a new vocabulary! The second something is round and it is a bedroom and it is part of a roundhouse that will have a few round somethings connected by covered walkways. But it’s not a room in the conventional sense as it is completely separate. But it is not a separate ‘roundhouse’. Any ideas, anyone?
We had to go and find some very long and strong bamboos to form the walkway roof between the two roundhouse rooms.
At this point I mistakenly deleted a batch of photos as I transferred them from camera to computer! But if you have followed my previous blogs, you will know how the walls and roof are created (if not, check out Blog 9 ‘Sweet Home, Chiang Dao’). So on to the finished roundhouse bedroom.
The photo above shows that this was the day the electrics went in. The wires will be encased in yellow pvc, which will be hidden by the earth plaster that will eventually go on the walls.
You can also see the stones in front of the ‘room’ that mark a French drain. As the house is on a slope, and in a monsoon area, rainwater is a hazard. Both the
‘rooms’ will have French drains at the side where the slope is steepest. A ditch about 40 centimetres deep is dug, and a 4 inch pvc pipe with holes in it laid at the bottom, and the ditch then filled in with rounded river stones. Since this photo, it has rained quite heavily and the drains worked perfectly!
The walkway works very well, and is wide enough for stormy weather. Note the stones denoting another drain which carries the rain water from the thatch away from the house to the vegetable patch further down the slope.
One of our workers is from the Lisu hilltribe, and he recommended using this style of drain from the bathroom, especially as I am now showering in there. The drain filled with pebbles takes the water away, leaving ‘steps’ in between that stay dry. I only use products with no chemicals so the water that comes from the shower is fine for plants, and we have planted seeds from a delicious papaya at the end of the drains.
You may have noticed the bottle of gas in the picture above. I had installed a gas hot water heater in the house that I rented, so when I moved here, I brought it with me. But the water pressure here is very erratic, and half the time it is scalding hot, and the rest of the time, cold! So I now have a big bucket and mix the hot and cold together and slosh is over myself with the aid of a bailer.
It works fine. One day I will get down to sorting out the water situation, but there’s some building to finish first…
The rains seem to be finally here, though we are still having dry weather some days I’m happy to say.
I decided to do something different for the floor of the bedroom. We have used green pigment in the final cement plaster, and then I painted a design using red acrylic roof paint. A final layer of polyurethane seals the concrete and makes it easy to keep clean.
Note the step and drain walkway to the ‘bedroom’, to give me dry stepping ‘stones’ (more vocab problems…) as water drains down from the slope. I love this idea!
And finally, introducing Lucy, my little red poodle!